Planet News Views

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Reporting of Immigration Protests, News And Opinion

Commentary
By Scott McLean

Planet News Views advises readers to examine the news and ask questions like the following: Is the news media reporting information as accurately as possible? Is "the news" only news or is it a combination of news and opinion?

Too often it seems reporters are forgetting to use "according to" and stating that an organization or individual "said", "commented" or similar words, which tells you what you are reading or hearing is "news" rather than an editorial, opinion or commentary.

Reporting of immigration protests many times has given only part of the story, failing to go into details about many of these protesters being illegal immigrants, who are not citizens of the United States.

When following this story, it's important to know that there are more than two sides of an issue, in fact there are many, but reporters typically make it seem like there are only those for and against an issue.

Moderate thinking is routinely overlooked by the media, neglected by political activists, underestimated by politicians and belittled by far right and far left commentators who want to be "right" (make everybody agree with them) rather than do what is "right" (the best thing) for a local area, country, and the planet.

1 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger 林時拉夫斯基 said...

Hi, I just remember 2 of my favourite films: Before Sunset(great performance + great script) and Requiem for a Dream(great music + visual style). Need some time to get more out of my memory.

I've watched the new Star Wars trilogy. But I prefer films like Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell, which have a darker vision of the future.

I haven't watched George Clooney's Solaris. Is it related to Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris?

The Hong Kong International Film Festival is being held now. So, I mainly watch films shown at the festival recently. But I went to see Pride and Prejudice yesterday. I guess I like the BBC version more.

Have you watched Woody Allen's Match Point? It will be shown in HK starting on 27/04 and I'm quite interested in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home