Planet News Views

Monday, September 25, 2006

Bangkok Humidity 'Oppressive', Military Coup 'Mild'

By Scott McLean

Bangkok - This morning in Bangkok (I was just told by telephone) it's very humid, like yesterday. In the middle of the night it was raining hard, which is typical this time of year in Thailand.

It's the kind of oppressive heat that makes people want to seek out the nearest air conditioner, whether that be in a shopping mall, convenience store, or a fast food restaurant. I know this from experience.

Last September I was in Bangkok and really enjoyed myself. But I'm telling you, the weather was a bit of a shock to my system, so I'm thankful my body got used to it after a short time.

Also, according to the person I spoke with by telephone, Bangkok remains calm not even one week after a coup, which everyone in Bangkok has said was nonviolent, and even peaceful.


Thai people are busy going to work and living their lives, when they're not having their pictures taken with soldiers, many of whom they've given flowers to and even brought food and water.

The only thing I know for sure is, if I were in Bangkok right now I'd be looking for something cold to drink, almost every hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home