Planet News Views

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Editorial Note: Responsibility and Mobile Phones

This is a note to clarify what was posted last time.

Each day we go faster to the future, at least in terms of technology. Mobile phones have changed our lives.

When I visited the Philippines a few years ago, at the beginning it felt like I was in a futuristic sci-fi movie, with phones everywhere and people quite attached to them.

While cell phones (as they are commonly referred to in the U.S.) are popular in America, I don't recall a fascination with reading and sending text messages. I'm sure many other countries besides the Philippines, especially Asian countries, are way out ahead of the U.S. in this regard. Cool!


By comparison, when I was in Thailand, I didn't see as many people sending text messages, although the popularity of mobile phones there is obvious.

After riding buses, taxis and getting stuck in traffic, I can see how important it is to have a mobile phone to let people know what's going on. I'm not against mobile phones, I just think overuse is not wise when with others.

I think it's up to each person to set sensible limits on when they will use a mobile phone. I'm also opposed to rules or laws (except no mobile phone while driving) because people need to become more responsible.


Nobody should have to say to a person not to use their phone in the church, although I saw this one time during my trip.

Many times people ignore or even neglect the people with them because they are sending text messages or talking on the phone. That's wrong.

It's not for any of us to force them to behave. After all, most of the people I'm referring to are adults. It's difficult to believe people need someone to tell them when they can and cannot use their phones. And there's no need for it if they are responsible phone users.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home